PMC forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» PMC2 caches as they are released..
The story (if you agree) EmptyMon Aug 16, 2010 10:05 pm by gipsie

» Progress report
The story (if you agree) EmptySat Aug 14, 2010 9:33 pm by addisonbr

» PMCx caches as they are released...
The story (if you agree) EmptySat Jul 10, 2010 8:18 pm by gipsie

» PMC Lite caches as they are released
The story (if you agree) EmptyThu Jun 24, 2010 7:45 pm by gipsie

» Do we want shirts?
The story (if you agree) EmptySun Mar 28, 2010 6:59 am by gipsie

» Progress report
The story (if you agree) EmptyThu Mar 18, 2010 6:39 pm by Bayberry

» PUBLISHED!
The story (if you agree) EmptySun Mar 14, 2010 9:15 am by gipsie

» Finalizing the event!
The story (if you agree) EmptyThu Mar 04, 2010 11:37 am by childofatom

» Just an update
The story (if you agree) EmptyTue Feb 23, 2010 7:46 pm by gipsie

Latest topics
» PMC2 caches as they are released..
The story (if you agree) EmptyMon Aug 16, 2010 10:05 pm by gipsie

» Progress report
The story (if you agree) EmptySat Aug 14, 2010 9:33 pm by addisonbr

» PMCx caches as they are released...
The story (if you agree) EmptySat Jul 10, 2010 8:18 pm by gipsie

» PMC Lite caches as they are released
The story (if you agree) EmptyThu Jun 24, 2010 7:45 pm by gipsie

» Do we want shirts?
The story (if you agree) EmptySun Mar 28, 2010 6:59 am by gipsie

» Progress report
The story (if you agree) EmptyThu Mar 18, 2010 6:39 pm by Bayberry

» PUBLISHED!
The story (if you agree) EmptySun Mar 14, 2010 9:15 am by gipsie

» Finalizing the event!
The story (if you agree) EmptyThu Mar 04, 2010 11:37 am by childofatom

» Just an update
The story (if you agree) EmptyTue Feb 23, 2010 7:46 pm by gipsie

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Affiliates
free forum

Affiliates
free forum

Poll

The story (if you agree)

+7
everettlane
grozecki
QandB.
Lefalaf
muddy and amused
childofatom
gipsie
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

The story (if you agree) Empty The story (if you agree)

Post  gipsie Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:04 pm

OK, this is what I came up with....tell me if it works for you.

I am also going to email it to the PMC2 people. Just in case someone is not watching the forum....

Here we go (constructive criticism appreciated):

"I was set up....I swear!"

Lonnie had been working for the Shop for almost 20 years. His record was impeccable; his work ethic beyond reproach. He completed every mission he was ever assigned. All except one. And that one....well, that one may just be his downfall. It almost ended his career before it began. And it just may end it now. One of his first assignments. He remembers the day it happened like it was yesterday.

Walking into the Director's office, he was green and nervous.

"Yes, sir? You wanted to see me?"

The Director, an imposing figure behind his desk, was even more intimidating as he walked around the desk to greet Lonnie.

"Lonnie, you have a promising future here at the Agency. And we think we have found the perfect assignment for you to get your feet wet. Have a seat and I will fill you in."

As they both took their seats, Lonnie could sense that the Director wasn't sure if he really wanted to be giving this particular assignment.

"You are a new face," the Director began, "and the beginning to a new age in the Agency and we are very proud to see how well you did in your training phase. You excelled in every test we gave you and had the highest scores of any recruit we ever brought in. That is why we are choosing you to take on this assignment."

Not wanting to interrupt, Lonnie waited patiently for the Director to finish.

"There is a file out there," he continued. "Called Dossier #235ZK, this file holds many great secrets. It has been kept here at the Office for many years. Recently, that file has been stolen."

Lonnie gasps. Stolen? How could that be? This is one of the most secure buildings in the world.

"I know what you are thinking, Lonnie. How could this happen here? We thought the same thing until we realized that it was definitely an inside job. It was our own agents that got hold of this information. It was our own agents that secreted it away. So far, none of the information has been revealed, but that is irrelevant. The longer the info is sat on, the more it is worth. The greatest secrets in the world. Out there in the hands of rogue agents. We need YOU to find this file. None of the agents know who you are, you will be perfect. This info is not worth much now, but over time.....well it could be devastating.

"So, what do you think, Lonnie? Are you up to the challenge?"

"YES, SIR!" Lonnie exclaimed.

And so the bane of his existence was born....

Over the years, he has found clues and had many leads. It has been his main case for what seemed like forever. Shortly after their meeting, the Director passed away. It was ruled natural causes, but Lonnie always wondered. The next Director, who was more of a "man of the moment", not to concern himself with things of the past, did not have the sense of urgency about Lonnie's first mission that the original Director had. Eventually, although the case was never closed, it was pushed to the back burner for all except Lonnie. Other missions were assigned, but Lonnie never forgot or gave up on his first mission. It consumed him.

Recently some new info came to light. Whisperings of secrets. Murmurs of a certain dossier that could be very important. Lonnie found it most interesting and looked into it further. And then the phone call came.

It was a quiet night when his work phone rang.

"If you want information on #235ZK, that you have been seeking for so long, meet us in Lebanon, at Mayo's in one hour." Click.

Intrigued, he made the journey. As he stepped out of his car in the parking lot of Mayo's, he felt the bag over his head and was overwhelmed by the chloroform mask he was given. He awoke a few hours later and there was no one around. His car was still sitting there, the keys were still in his pocket. Confused and slightly disorientated, he started the car and started driving back to the Office.

When he arrived, he was immediately stopped on the way to the Director's office. Three agents surrounded him and put him in handcuffs.

"We are sorry, Lonnie, but you are under arrest. We know you have #235ZK and have had it for quite some time. Slick, you are, for playing like you are still looking for it. But your secret has been outed. Now you must pay."

He was brought to the Director, and although he pleaded innocence, it was to no avail. The evidence was overwhelming. He asked for the evidence to be shown to him, but never saw it.

And there he sits. No trial scheduled, no one knows of him at all. Except for those that set him up, there is only a handful of people that know who he is and can help him prove himself innocent. They must seek the agents responsible, and must find all the clues to bring them to #235ZK. Only this will save our hero......
gipsie
gipsie
Admin

Back to top Go down

The story (if you agree) Empty Re: The story (if you agree)

Post  childofatom Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:50 pm

Mmmm interesting... Nice set up. So... what is our outline from here? Are we writing from the perspective of the agents that are coming to help? The original portions of the mission that Lonnie completed prior to being captured? (Sorry if I'm dense and not seeing the obvious.)
childofatom
childofatom

Back to top Go down

Post  gipsie Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:05 pm

childofatom wrote:Mmmm interesting... Nice set up. So... what is our outline from here? Are we writing from the perspective of the agents that are coming to help? The original portions of the mission that Lonnie completed prior to being captured? (Sorry if I'm dense and not seeing the obvious.)

Just a rough draft, not sure how it should go.

I would like to get your feedback and see if it is doable or not. Let me know what you think. I was originally thinking that the geocachers solving the puzzles are the agents coming to help and that the Puzzle Masters are the ones that hold the answers. But it is open to whatever you guys think. Or I can scratch that whole story and start from scratch. It only took me a few minutes to write, so if I get another idea from you guys, I could probably bang out another one, lol.

Let me know. All ideas and suggestions welcome. Very Happy
gipsie
gipsie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  childofatom Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:18 pm

I like the basic set up... but what if, rather than coming from a third person place you approach it from a first person perspective: "If you are reading this something has gone wrong on my mission and only YOU can help me!" Bring the player in as an operative. Then each of us can write as a part of Lonnie's inner circle, or an older case that ties in, and each of our caches can be files within the main case, or perhaps dead drops (the places spies place info to be retrieved by other spies) that contain info that was intended for Lonnie but he has asked you to retrieve it instead. Or perhaps Lonnie knew he was being pursued and divided his files into 20 bits (or however many caches we have) and has asked you to collect them all and free him.... just tossing out free ideas.
childofatom
childofatom

Back to top Go down

Post  muddy and amused Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:20 pm

Is this the story (or which ever story that would replace it - if replaced) that will go on the Final's cache page? If so then we can create our stories to lead into this as the ending...but this story would have to be made a little more generic. Maybe loos the name Lonnie. i personally am fine with the "Dossier #235ZK" though. Maybe that number could be the finals GC# (minus the GC) i.e. GC235ZK.

Last edited by muddy and amused on Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:51 pm; edited 3 times in total

muddy and amused

Back to top Go down

Post  muddy and amused Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:29 pm

childofatom wrote:I like the basic set up... but what if, rather than coming from a third person place you approach it from a first person perspective: "If you are reading this something has gone wrong on my mission and only YOU can help me!" Bring the player in as an operative.

I really like this idea. Certainly worth consideration.

muddy and amused

Back to top Go down

Post  Lefalaf Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:38 am

I like the ideas childofatom mentioned, including the dead drop(s).
Lefalaf
Lefalaf

Back to top Go down

The story (if you agree) Empty FTS - heh

Post  Lefalaf Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:01 am

muddy and amused wrote:Maybe that number could be the finals GC# (minus the GC) i.e. GC235ZK.

I'm sure it is. That is exactly where the GC was assigning numbers yesterday. Puzzle Solved! Cool
Lefalaf
Lefalaf

Back to top Go down

Post  Lefalaf Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:31 am

Could the setup be written such that "pieces" the dead drops (our caches) contain, were separated way back when and have each been guarded for ages (centuries, millenia, ...) in various locations by various espionage rings through history. Maybe they each thought their piece was didn't relate to the others. (Basic example: The KGB didn't realize that they were holding secret info that when combined with the CIA's secret info and Cesear's and... would lead to... (of course someone had it long before the KGB, CIA, Cesear, but it would up there eventually and the true meaning was lost in translation...)

How they are encoded / hidden / conveyed / revealed / combined / etc could / should be wide open. Insert creativity here.

The ultimate source in space and time need not be known.

Travel of the pieces/information through space and time to our dead drops could be part of our puzzles (or not part of our puzzles depending on the cache owner).

Just some thoughts. Semi related to a few thoughts I have in mind, but no spoilers above. I can of course find a way tweak my thoughts if we should target a specific timeframe for the start of the secret to the rediscovery of it as GC235ZK.
Lefalaf
Lefalaf

Back to top Go down

Post  QandB. Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:22 am

I like the idea of our caches being deaddrops containing clues/files to be combined to find the final. Perhaps Lonnie had indeed already gathered the clues as the original Director had asked,  but was now reluctant to hand that information over to the new Director whom he doesn't trust.  Before he could resolve his delima he was captured/detained/gone missing.  This could bring in the "If you are reading this something has gone wrong on my mission and only YOU can help me!" concept mentioned earlier.

Richard
QandB.
QandB.

Back to top Go down

Post  muddy and amused Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:59 am

I touched on this once before...I think it would be a good idea to have this as the ending story (minus the names)...the story that goes on the final cache page. The positive is that this would leave the creativity to the puzzle creators wide open. The negative to this is that some of us may not be3 using people in the stories for anyone to get arrested (I dont know this for sure...just guessing) or their main charecter cant get caught to make their puzzle work. Just throwing thoughts out.

muddy and amused

Back to top Go down

Post  muddy and amused Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:03 am

QandB. wrote:I like the idea of our caches being deaddrops containing clues/files to be combined to find the final.

This idea works for me as my story already refers to the cache as a dead drop. I had my story completed before this thread came out - I just have to tweak it to fit it with the main storyline.

muddy and amused

Back to top Go down

Post  grozecki Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:04 am

The GC # idea is cool
grozecki
grozecki

http://rozeckiconsulting.tech.officelive.com/default.aspx

Back to top Go down

Post  gipsie Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:05 am

Aaah...you guys are good!

First of all...YES, it is the GC#. I already have cache pages ready to be worked on, so as I get stuff I can just add it to them. Someone offered me GC1004 which is only 5 after GCZZZZ, but I politely declined...it just didn't have the same effect as GCZZZZ. I also have the event page set up for when I get a definite date.

I like the dead drop idea and the first person narrative too. I will tweak these ideas today and have something for you by this afternoon if not sooner. As soon as I get a chance I will start a checklist so we can keep track of where we are.
gipsie
gipsie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  childofatom Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:15 am

Lefalaf wrote:Could the setup be written such that "pieces" the dead drops (our caches) contain, were separated way back when and have each been guarded for ages (centuries, millenia, ...) in various locations by various espionage rings through history.

Sounds a little "Dan Brown" pushing it that far back... been reading The Lost Symbol?

I do know that at least two of us are considering using puzzle elements relating to historic spies from our immediate area. Of course not everyone is going to have that...
childofatom
childofatom

Back to top Go down

Post  everettlane Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:26 am

Another possibility for the "who left these dead drops and why did they create such clever puzzles to record their location" -- the enemy spy ring who stole the file realized it was too dangerous for any one agent to have knowledge of its location. So they split it up so that each agent only had part of the meta-puzzle that led to the file. Our agent tracked down each enemy agent, but couldn't solve the puzzles.

Also, in spy novels, they always call the CIA "The Company" instead of "The Agency." I don't know why.

everettlane

Back to top Go down

Post  grozecki Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:30 am

Steven King always like to use "The Shop".
grozecki
grozecki

Back to top Go down

Post  grozecki Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:45 am

childofatom wrote:
Lefalaf wrote:Could the setup be written such that "pieces" the dead drops (our caches) contain, were separated way back when and have each been guarded for ages (centuries, millenia, ...) in various locations by various espionage rings through history.

Sounds a little "Dan Brown" pushing it that far back... been reading The Lost Symbol?

I do know that at least two of us are considering using puzzle elements relating to historic spies from our immediate area. Of course not everyone is going to have that...

I'm just making it up as I go along. Not using any references to historic spies.
grozecki
grozecki

Back to top Go down

The story (if you agree) Empty Misc, perhaps obvious questions

Post  QandB. Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:47 am

1. In the original PMC series, the final cache was a "great hidden treasure." Naturally one would want to find a great treasure. What cacher wouldn't want a treasure?! For PMC2, what "is" this file? Why would someone want to find it?

2. For clarification ... will the PMC2 final (GC235ZK) be the last PMC2 cache to be published (as it was in the original PMC series) ... or the first? If it is the last and has a more specific/less generic storyline, then the details of that specific storyline would need to be really "nailed down" so that we all make sure our story lines tie into it. Or at least don't conflict.

Richard
QandB.
QandB.

Back to top Go down

Post  muddy and amused Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:07 am

QandB. wrote:... If it is the last and has a more specific/less generic storyline, then the details of that specific storyline would need to be really "nailed down" so that we all make sure our story lines tie into it. Or at least don't conflict.

Richard
I vote for "last to be released" but disagree with with the story having to be specific. The more specific/less generic the story line is, the less creative wiggle-room we have to come up with a unique and very difficult puzzle. My story line has specific key words and key phrases that must remain intact for the puzzle to work....well, part one of the puzzle anyway...

muddy and amused

Back to top Go down

Post  QandB. Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:22 am

muddy and amused wrote:
QandB. wrote:... If it is the last and has a more specific/less generic storyline, then the details of that specific storyline would need to be really "nailed down" so that we all make sure our story lines tie into it. Or at least don't conflict.

Richard
I vote for "last to be released" but disagree with with the story having to be specific. The more specific/less generic the story line is, the less creative wiggle-room we have to come up with a unique and very difficult puzzle. My story line has specific key words and key phrases that must remain intact for the puzzle to work....well, part one of the puzzle anyway...

Don't get me wrong, I also would prefer a more generic storyline with more wiggle-room. I just meant that if the storyline WAS more specific, then we would need to make sure we don't conflict with it.
QandB.
QandB.

Back to top Go down

Post  gipsie Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:10 pm

It can be the last or the first, it doesn't matter to me.... Your ideas are a big hel. Should have another version done soon....
gipsie
gipsie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  avgraphics Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:57 pm

I like the story a lot - nice job gipsie! I also like lots of the feedback provided already.. some of the suggestions I agree with are:

-- Give our hero a more heroic name than Lonnie (no offense to the name - it just doesn't strike me as the name of a veteran CIA spy)

-- Change the way things are written to the first-person style.. so that the reader immediately gets a sense of where they fit in.

-- The idea of making each cache in the series a dead drop.. each containing an element that helps solve the overarching puzzle (but also written in such a way that solving & finding any single cache in the PMC2 series as a stand-alone accomplishment to be proud of.. whether or not you press on to complete the whole series & final cache).

So now.. I just want to make sure I'm following the story line, characters, etc & understanding the role my cache will play in the grand scheme of things.

So... We're in the here & now - and our hero's top secret, 20-year old investigation has been found out by an unknown person, or group of individuals, internal to the CIA (but obviously intent on burying all knowledge compiled over the years by our hero). This means the info in the dossier must have consequences when all brought together.. such as: the plans to build a device that would be the key to global domination.. or a solution that would solve the world's energy crisis (leading to a rational explanation as to who's trying to bury the info & why). This way I feel the whole story-line will more easily come together in my mind. I can then see things such as:

The good guys:
-- The original director,
-- Our hero,
-- Other "good" secret agents (who also had similar stand-alone missions similar to our hero's),
-- The Geocacher reading the cache listing & trying to solve the puzzle, find the cache, and contribute to a master plan (i.e. save the world)

The bad guys:
-- The current director,
-- The person/people who locked up our hero,
-- International energy cartels,
-- Anyone at all (i.e. - so watch out and share info with nobody)

I know this kind of approach adds much more detail - and might, as a result, remove some of the latitude (wiggle room) needed to create a bunch of varied & very tough puzzles.

Those are my initial thought.. I like where this is going - I can hardly wait to see how it turns out! Wink

Cool afro Cool
avgraphics
avgraphics

Back to top Go down

Post  Lefalaf Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:18 pm

childofatom wrote: Sounds a little "Dan Brown" pushing it that far back... been reading The Lost Symbol?

Actually, that is exactly what I though when reading Maureen's original story. I guess mine inadvertently carried that thought.

Yep, read it last month.
Lefalaf
Lefalaf

Back to top Go down

Post  kailster Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:00 pm

I like the story and have already adapted my cache to it. . . One suggestion though, once we agree on the story, lets create a bio thread to keep the main character (and supporting cast) consistent. So my puzzle has him with red hair, we all have him with red hair (you get the idea). We can also share info significant to the main story, but not to the actual puzzle so that we can cross reference each other when appropriate. . . .So if my story centers around his fear of heights, others can also reference it when we place our hero on building ledge. . .

james

kailster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum