PMC forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» PMC2 caches as they are released..
New version...too much??? EmptyMon Aug 16, 2010 10:05 pm by gipsie

» Progress report
New version...too much??? EmptySat Aug 14, 2010 9:33 pm by addisonbr

» PMCx caches as they are released...
New version...too much??? EmptySat Jul 10, 2010 8:18 pm by gipsie

» PMC Lite caches as they are released
New version...too much??? EmptyThu Jun 24, 2010 7:45 pm by gipsie

» Do we want shirts?
New version...too much??? EmptySun Mar 28, 2010 6:59 am by gipsie

» Progress report
New version...too much??? EmptyThu Mar 18, 2010 6:39 pm by Bayberry

» PUBLISHED!
New version...too much??? EmptySun Mar 14, 2010 9:15 am by gipsie

» Finalizing the event!
New version...too much??? EmptyThu Mar 04, 2010 11:37 am by childofatom

» Just an update
New version...too much??? EmptyTue Feb 23, 2010 7:46 pm by gipsie

Latest topics
» PMC2 caches as they are released..
New version...too much??? EmptyMon Aug 16, 2010 10:05 pm by gipsie

» Progress report
New version...too much??? EmptySat Aug 14, 2010 9:33 pm by addisonbr

» PMCx caches as they are released...
New version...too much??? EmptySat Jul 10, 2010 8:18 pm by gipsie

» PMC Lite caches as they are released
New version...too much??? EmptyThu Jun 24, 2010 7:45 pm by gipsie

» Do we want shirts?
New version...too much??? EmptySun Mar 28, 2010 6:59 am by gipsie

» Progress report
New version...too much??? EmptyThu Mar 18, 2010 6:39 pm by Bayberry

» PUBLISHED!
New version...too much??? EmptySun Mar 14, 2010 9:15 am by gipsie

» Finalizing the event!
New version...too much??? EmptyThu Mar 04, 2010 11:37 am by childofatom

» Just an update
New version...too much??? EmptyTue Feb 23, 2010 7:46 pm by gipsie

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Affiliates
free forum

Affiliates
free forum

Poll

New version...too much???

5 posters

Go down

New version...too much??? Empty New version...too much???

Post  gipsie Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:51 pm

Three beers later.... I came up with a story. Only kidding, I haven't had any beer yet, but if you guys don't like it, I am going to start...

See how you like this. Can you work with it? Almost the last resort, but I may be able to tweak this one where we need it to be...

I left the time line open and the characters, but wanted to keep a story.... Let me know!

Since the beginning of recorded history and earlier, there has been espionage. Joshua led a group of spies into Canaan. King Alfred the Great disguised himself as a bard and infiltrated Danish military camps. The Mongols. The Egyptians. The ancient Greeks and Romans. China had Sun Tzu. India had Chanakya. The CIA, the KGB. All have stories, told through the generations, of espionage and spies.

Espionage has won wars and started them, brought down political figures and helped them rise to power. It is quiet and sublime. Powerful and omnipresent. There, but never seen.

We have all heard stories about espionage and the secret lives of spies. We watch them in the theater or television saving a country or bringing down a regime.

Their success is based on information. They hold secrets that none of us will ever know. We know that spies have helped us win wars and take down governements. But what about the stuff we don't know?

My name is ****** and I am an information gatherer, a spy. I have found out information about things that I will not talk about here. I thought I was important. I thought I had access to the greatest secrets ever. Until.....

Let me start from the beginning. When I started my career, I had a mentor. He taught me everything I know. Everything I have ever accomplished was because of him. He was the best of the best and completed an infinite number of missions successfully. Never got caught, was never suspected. We worked together for numerous years and told each other our innermost thoughts and secrets. So I thought....

Then the day came when I received a phone call that I hoped I would never receive. My partner, my mentor, was hospitilized for a heart attack. I rushed to the hospital to see him. As I was walking down the hall, I spotted a doctor leaving his room. I approached him and asked how he was doing.

"Are you a friend of the family?" he asked.

"Yes," I explained. "I have been his best friend for almost 20 years."

Looking remorseful, he spoke. "This may be the last time you see him. He is not doing well and we are afraid he will not make it through the night. But he is strong. Right now, he is lucid and fully aware that he is not going to live long. We are making him comfortable; that is all we can do."

Thanking the doctor for his honesty, I entered the room.

As I neared the bed, I looked at my friend and mentor. He was a far cry from the man that I knew. He looked small and weak lying there. His eyes were closed, but opened as I approached. Like he knew it was me when I entered the room. He reached out for my arm. Weakly, he pulled me close to the bed.

In a voice barely above a whisper, he started to speak.

"I have something to tell you," he whispered.

"Ssshhh," I replied. "Don't talk. Save your strength."

If ever a whisper could sound like a scream, it did at that moment.

"No!" Then back to the gravelly whisper.

"I must tell you these things. Something needs to be done and you are probably the only one capable of taking care of it."

Silenced, I leaned close and told him to proceed and he began his story.

Since the beginning of time, there have been secrets. Goverment cover ups, conspiracies, answers to questions that we have all needed answered. There are things that governments don't want the average person to know. Things that they don't even want their inner circle to know. My job was to assume responsibility for this information. It was to be hidden away and encoded so it wouldn't get in the wrong hands. Hundreds of years of information. And there have been agents out there who have found out this information that would change the world. I was charged with finding their hidden information. I researched them and solved their puzzles and retrieved their information. I replaced the intelligence I found with a clue to the final "stash". A wealth of information that, in the wrong hands, could change the world.

Somehow there have been others who have heard about the information and are looking for it. I was assigned to you, *****, because you have what it takes. I was to train you in the art of espionage and teach you all that I know. You are to be the "super agent". You need to retrieve this information before those that are trying to find it for all the wrong reasons. We need to get rid of all the clues out in the field and retrieve the stash so others won't find it. Here in my notebook is all the information you will need for each of the separate agents "stashes". Please retrieve them and get rid of all the information.

Now, here is the location you need to go to for the final "stash" of information. Go in my coat pocket and there is a slip of paper there that I need to give to you.

I turned to grab his coat and checked his pockets. Empty! I returned to the bed to ask him if he was mistaken when the "code blue" alarms started going off. A team of doctors and nurses ran in and I watched them for several minutes....Until the man that looked like the doctor in charge pronounced, "Time of death...."

Now what? I have the notebook with all the info on the original "stashes", but there are puzzles to solve and then a way to find the final information. How am I going to do this by myself? I know I can't. I do know that over the years that I have been on the "job" I have met many I could trust with my life. I am going to need help.

So I call upon the people I trust most. Help me solve this before it winds up in the wrong hands.

gipsie
gipsie
Admin

Back to top Go down

New version...too much??? Empty Re: New version...too much???

Post  muddy and amused Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:59 pm

SUCKS!

Just playing!!! The first story was good, but this one is much better. First person. open to our creative freedom, no need to worry about collaberating hair color and demeanors...etc. This story works really really well for me! I hope everyone else agrees. Well done, Gipsie!!!

muddy and amused

Back to top Go down

Post  gipsie Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:05 pm

muddy and amused wrote:SUCKS!

Damn! You scared me for a minute there....

If this works for everyone, we will go with it.

Then I will create a blurb and a logo for all the cache pages.

Getting closer.....
gipsie
gipsie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  muddy and amused Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:24 am

Have two questions just for clarification purposes:
1) We, the PMC2 puzzle creators are the "I" in this story. Correct?
2) Can we say our story/puzzle was found within the pages of the notebook? For example "Here are two pages of peculiar interest from my mentors notebook: …"?

muddy and amused

Back to top Go down

Post  QandB. Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:30 am

... Or could it be that the mentor found these puzzles and recorded them in his book. But not the solutions ( for security purposes). We as the CO's had created the puzzles. Gipsie's hero is to gather the pieces together, but he is not up to the task and thus enlists the help of the geocacher reading the cache page.

Richard

Last edited by QandB. on Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
QandB.
QandB.

Back to top Go down

Post  gipsie Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:46 am

Richard is correct. The author of the story is recruiting the help of geocachers to solve these puzzles. In a nutshell:

The original agents (you guys or the heroes of your stories) hid the secrets you had. The mentor, over the years, collected all the information and put it in one place, leaving a clue in each original stash to the final location where he hid everything. He gives the author his notebook with all the info for your stashes but dies before he can give him the solution to the puzzles and the location of the final.

It is a little rough and needs to be cleaned up a little, but that is the basic idea...
gipsie
gipsie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  muddy and amused Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:58 am

Good...still works for me!

muddy and amused

Back to top Go down

Post  QandB. Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:31 pm

Great story line! Works for me too! Very Happy
QandB.
QandB.

Back to top Go down

Post  gipsie Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:48 pm

Gonna email it to everyone. If no major complaints by tonight, it is what we will go with...
gipsie
gipsie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  addisonbr Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:02 pm

I might soften the stuff about "get rid of all of the clues out in the field" and similar wording... You never know when someone might approach this challenge without the geocaching background that we've all taken for granted.

If someone comes across this and thinks of it like it's some kind of an ARG, they might actually think that their contribution to the "project" is to solve a component puzzle, find the cache, destroy it, and report the clue back to the community as a whole as everyone works together to solve the mystery.

Which... isn't the way this works, although it might be the way some other networked challenges could.

addisonbr

http://tinyurl.com/38js6b

Back to top Go down

Post  kailster Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:04 pm

I like it . . . . And I think we should give the beer the credit it deserves Wink

james

kailster

Back to top Go down

Post  gipsie Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:23 pm

Good point Brett. I will reword it in the morning.

And James...beer??? What beer??? I drank the beer AFTER (well, MOST of the beer after, hehe)
gipsie
gipsie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  gipsie Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:28 pm

OK, I am finally getting around to re-writing the story, sorry for the delay. I am going to try to come up with a name for the main character. Any suggestions? Or should I give him/her a code name? When I have it finished, I will email the final version to everyone....

(emailing this as well)
gipsie
gipsie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  kailster Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:39 pm

Boy, I thought you wanted to use the ****** for the name. It read like some classified report where the names were "removed" to protect the parties involved. . . . .It also allowed the cacher to put his/her name in its place. . . .

kailster

Back to top Go down

Post  muddy and amused Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:18 pm

I agree with James...I also assumed you were using *****.

muddy and amused

Back to top Go down

Post  gipsie Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:27 pm

Done.....

I used **** and just emailed the story to you...blurb to follow...
gipsie
gipsie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum